Friday, April 8, 2011

Our Scooter Adventure

Stay tuned for the next addition of Vacation continued……………… After taking a quick glance at the majestic ocean, we headed to MOGO’s scooters.  We pull into this cute beachy alleyway that had cottage like stores on its left and MOGO’s scooters and a happening restaurant on its right.  Outside the scooter shack there were a few different kinds.  There was the scoot coupe which housed 2 people and reminded me of a tricycle, there were the single scooters and also scooters that could fit 4-6 people.  When we sought out the employee, we inquired about the scoot coupe.  You see I had never ridden a scooter, or for that matter a 4 wheeler.  I had NO clue how to drive these things.  I knew I could probably learn fast but didn’t want to take that chance with someone else’s equipment.  We were told the pricing and decided to rent the scoot coupe for the day.  I was sooooo excited.  She retrieved helmets for us and led us to our scooter.  Upon looking at it, I started to have my doubts about BOTH of us fitting in it.  After squeezing into the tiny contraption we headed on our way.  She directed us out the back way which led to the lighthouse so we wouldn’t have to start out on the highway.  As we were driving down the narrow lanes I was terribly uncomfortable.  This scooter was simply not meant for people with our stature.  The scooter lacked the get up and go we needed to fully enjoy our little drive.  When we arrived at the lighthouse we both looked at each other and decided this was just no fun.  “Let’s go back and rent 2 scooters,” I suggested.  “You sure?”   Doug asked me questionably.  “Yeah, I think we would have more fun with individual scooters.”  We slowly turned around in the drive and headed back to the scooter shack.  When we pulled in, I would love to say that I jumped but it was more like peeled out of the coupe and ran into office.  I explained to her our dilemma and she agreed that it would probably be better.  Of course she agreed because we had to fork over 65 more dollars.  She and I hopped onto scooters and she gave me a quick rundown on the different levers and gauges.  We took a stroll around the block and let me just tell you, I couldn’t stop smiling.  The feeling I felt was exhilarating!  I felt like I was being surrounded by God’s beauty.  I know this sounds pretty corny but honestly that’s how I felt.  We pulled back around and Doug joined me.  “This is so cool!” I exclaimed and we took off…………
Our adventures on the scooter consisted of driving to the other end of the island and checking out the pier, exploring the many secret lanes that house the lucky inhabitants, and driving across the massive bridge to Fort Pelaski. 
The drive to Fort Pelaski was probably the scariest.  Little did we know that we had to cross a huge bridge to reach it.  As we came around a bend up ahead, the structure loomed ahead.  The bad things about the scooter is 1-it doesn’t go as fast as you would like and 2-if someone else is riding with you it’s hard to communicate back and forth.   I checked out my rearview mirror and noticed the traffic that followed behind us.  Thank goodness there were 2 lanes as we tried to let everyone pass us before we ascended.  I’m in the lead and Doug is following close behind me.  We start up the bridge and my scooter is topping out at 35 miles an hour.  The only thing I could think of was the feelings of the people behind us.  That’s just the person I am, always thinking of others.  As I top the hill my scooter starts to pick up speed.  On my way down, my scooter was topping out at 45 miles an hour.  Now this is the fasted that I had been and my heart was starting to beat out of my chest.  It was a mixture between excitement and terror.  I’m sure the people passing by me in the opposite direction could see the priceless expression on my face.  Finally we made it over the hill and I pull over so we could let the massive caravan of cars go by.  After the last car had passed we continued our trek to Fort Pelaski.

No comments:

Post a Comment