Monday, September 19, 2011

Thrift store find = money!


I had to share this real quick because I am so excited!  A couple of weeks ago while I was browsing a thrift store in Decatur for my DIY: cupcake stand, I came across a lilac colored bumbo.  For those of you that do not know what that is, it's a baby seat that you can sit youngins in before they are able to sit up on their own.  It's lightweight and very handy.  Having one myself I realized the value in this item.  Brand new it retails for approximately $39.99.  When I found the price sticker on the side I about died.  $2.99!!  That's right!  $2.99!!  I know to any of you men out there you are probably thinking woopity-do as you twirl your finger.  If you are a mom you are thinking OMG!

As I sat there holding this 'treasure', I kept looking over my shoulder wondering if anyone was going to race up to me and yank it out of my hands. I already have one of these at home so I started trying to take lots of things into consideration before 'splurging'.  First and foremost, my husband's reaction.  I could hear him plain as day saying, "We already have one of those!  Do we honestly need that?"  I would then explain the fact that I could more than likely sell it and make a profit.  Even if I sold it for $10, I would still make $7!

Apparently whoever had priced it did not know a thing about baby gear so before someone else came along, I decided to snatch it.  As I walked away with all my goodies, I was soooo excited about my find. 

After cleaning it up really well I listed it on ebay.  I knew I wanted a "Buy it Now" price, but you also have to list an auction price.  I started the auction at $14.99 and listed the "Buy it Now" price at $26.00 both with free shipping.  The first night after listing, I laid in bed and realized that if there wasn't a bidding war, I would have to sell it for $14.99 and after shipping which was approx $10, I wasn't going to really make a profit.  There was no turning back though.  I had to follow through.

I am happy to announce that a couple days after listing someone bypassed the auction and bought it for $26.00!!  After shipping that left me with a profit of $14!  Now I'm ready to go back for more :)

Thanks again to Yard Sale Mommy for giving me the fever.  Haha, seriously she has some great advice on finding treasures and selling them on ebay for a profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment