Monday, August 15, 2011

Not such a bad town after all


Funeral's are never easy to go through.  Saturday my oldest daughter's great aunt was laid to rest.  Even though the family is on her father's side, they are as much my family as her's.  Sheryl Whitmire, Cayli's great-aunt, was taken from this world too soon but as I type this, she is walking the streets of gold smiling down on us wishing we could see her.  Sheryl always had a smile on her face and blue eyeshadow on her eyes.  She would do anything for you despite the obstacles that surrounded her. 

On the way to the burial site, I was comforted to see cars pulling over on the side of the road as we passed.  Knowing that our town still had that level of respect for the dearly departed left me a little teary eyed.  So many times we are so busy with our lives that we have blinders on.  We look straight ahead and only think about what is next on our long to do list.  I am sad to say I am guily of sporting the blinders.  There are many times when I get to my destination and honestly don't know how I got there.  How did I do that?  I am so focused on my checklist and all the things I have to get done that I forget about the now.

A town that will stop what they're doing and say a prayer for the family that has been affected by this tragedy is a town that I don't mind calling home.

No comments:

Post a Comment