Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY: Homemade Laundry Detergent

So as a busy mom, my blog is dedicated to my life.  Instead of focusing on certain things or subjects, I will take each and everyone of you into my life.  Whether it be stories about my kids, DIY projects, books I have read, or just a thought on my mind, I will post it.  Hope you enjoy!!

This is something I saw on Pinterest (Hi, my name is Elizabeth and I am addicted to Pinterest).  I have thought many times about making my own laundry detergent but at those times I just wasn't ready to take my thriftiness to that level.  I have failed at couponing (maybe one day) and I figured maybe this was something I could do to help save some money around the house!


Homemade Laundry Detergent:
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar of soap
a pot that holds at least 2 gallons (better if more)
a grater
a big spoon
a funnel
2- 1 gallon jugs



Grate the whole bar of soap. 
*When choosing the bar of soap, you want to choose one that is more basic, not the ones that have all these nifty ingredients.  Do not choose ones that contain aloe.  The one I chose was just a normal Dial Antibacterial Deodorant Soap scented Spring Water.  It smelled good :)




Toss your grated soap into the pot and add 1 gallon of cold water.  Cook until the soap dissolves stirring occassionally.  On high, this process usually takes around 10-15 minutes.

Add in your borax......

......and your washing soda.
Let it come to a boil and after you take it off the heat add in 1 gallon of cold water and stir.  Be careful and watch it very closely because when it gets hot enough to boil, the washing soda likes to expand.  I made this mistake on the first go around and turned in time to see it overflowing on the stove. This is why it's good to have a pot that is a little bigger than 2 gallons.  Mine is exactly 2 gallons and needless to say it is at the very top.


Use your funnel to transfer the detergent to the jugs.


And voila!!  You have 2 GALLONS of homemade laundry detergent.  Use 1/2 cup to every load.

Breakdown:
Borax: Approx $3-4
Washing Soda: Approx $3-4
Bar of soap: Less than a $1 a bar.

I have now made a total of 4 gallons so far and have not even used half of the box of Borax or Washing Soda.

*Keep in mind, this detergent does not generate the suds you normally have with expensive laundry detergents.  It's ok..............you don't HAVE to have suds in order to have clean clothes.
*Also keep in mind that when the detergent cools it will then coagulate. 

I hope you enjoyed this post and that it has helped in some way!


No comments:

Post a Comment