Monday, May 23, 2011

DIY: Teacher thank you gift


We made this cute gift for Cayli's homeroom teacher at school.  We baked a special batch of homemade cookies to go inside, yum yum!  I will show you step by step how to achieve this frugal and crafty gift that any teacher would love!
I started off with an empty formula can.  Make sure it is good and clean.   FYI: baby formula is not a good thing to leave behind:)
You then take a big rubberband and slide it around the middle.  I found these rubberbands at the Dollar General.  There's all different sizes and also different colors.  Start putting crayons (any kind) inside the rubberband to go around the can.
After you have put crayons around the whole can (about 1 1/2 packs) take 2 more little rubberbands and put them at the top and bottom to secure.
I then happened to have this pretty ribbon in my craft box so I wrapped it around the middle rubberband to hide it.  I secured it using hot glue.
I had found this cute bag at the Dollar Tree and it had a 3D banner on it that read "School Days School Days."  I thought this was a perfect (and easy) addition to put on the front of the ribbon.  You could also cut out anything that had to do with school and glue it to the ribbon (my first thought) OR you could made a bow out of ribbon to put on the front.
Because there was part of the can still showing, I came up with the ingenious idea to put different colored rubberbands around it to fill that space. :)
In order to cover up the seam, I had these little rhinestones and hot glued them on top of the seam. (Pay no attention to the rip in the ribbon) :(
In order to disguise the top of the formula can, I cute out a piece of denim from a ripped pair of jeans we had.  I made sure to cut bigger than the actual lid because you want the sides to hang over a little.
I hot glued around the edge of the lid and pressed the lid down on to the denim.
I then trimmed around the edges and hot glued around the lip of the can to create the overhang.  You don't want them too long because you don't want to cover up any of the details of the can.
I was able to find this cute little button that matched perfectly and stick it right on top to finish it off.
We then added cute tissue paper and placed our delicious cookies inside.  Voila!  A cute homemade gift that any teacher would love :)










 

No comments:

Post a Comment