Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day Crafts

Due to my husband being unemployed and me being a full-time homemaker, we didn't have the funds to purchase store bought mother's day gift so that's when we brainstormed.  We had lots of stuff around the house but what to do with it?  Here is one idea I did for my beautiful mother.
This is the finished product.  I will take you step by step on how to achieve this.
I took a big sheet of tissue paper and cut it into 4 equal pieces.

Of course from the picture you can tell my pieces aren't exactly perfect but when you have 2 toddlers running around you, you have to do the best you can.  Thank goodness for my 10 year daughter who helped out a bunch.  I also used different colors of tissue paper and alternated the colors.
I then accordian folded the tissue and used a bread tie to tie around the center.  I took scissors and rounded off the ends.
I then took a green pipe cleaner and wrapped it around the middle and started to fluff.  You have to pull each individual tissue paper apart to creat a ball.  Don't worry if you accidentally tear a piece.  It happens, believe me.
Because I have an infant, or used to, I have tons of formula cans around that's just waiting to be utilized.  Just make sure your can is clean.
I also snagged this beautiful roll of cellophane after Easter.  You can use cellophane or even tissue paper or wrapping paper.

I cut out the cellophane just enough to cover the sides.
With the help of my daughter, we brought the cellophane up around the can and used a ribbon to tie off the top.
I then trimmed the top to make it even.
I stuffed the can with blue Easter grass I obtained after Easter for cheap and stuck the "flower" in the middle.  I ended up having to take a popsicle stick and tie around the pipe cleaner to stabilize the "flower."  Otherwide the flower would look wilted and lay over the side.
I then glued a white piece of computer paper that I cut out with my fancy scissors to a piece of green construction paper.  This is for my sign.

I thought of a cute saying and printed it on the paper and glued a popsicle stick to the back.  I then topped it off with a matching ribbon to create a cute little sign to stick with the flower.

This is the finished verson and I stuck a few marshmallow poles that I had bought for my daughter's birthday party that was left over just to fill the space.  Voila!  You have a cute and colorful mother's day gift that didn't take a lot of money and was made from the heart.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment