Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What a day..........

Today was one of those days where you want to put your head under the covers and sleep the day away.  First of all we didn't wake up on time (again).  That's usually how start the day. I finally got Natalie to school with about 2 minutes to spare and spent the rest of my time in the library on the laptop conversing with another mom from the speech school.  When it was time to go, I packed up my belongings which consisted of my laptop bag, my pocketbook, and of course my coffee and we headed to the front to pick up the kids. 

After getting Naty settled in her carseat I started searching around for my phone just in case I needed it for the ride home.  Well guess what, I couldn't find it.  I dug in my pocketbook and dug in the laptop bag and each time came up empty handed. Poo, I must have left it in the library.  I pulled around to the front and left my car running as I once again unbuckled Naty and headed inside.  After going back to the library to check there, I again was disappointed.  No phone........I headed back to the front to make sure someone hadn't left it at the desk and of course no one had.  I headed back out to my car..again....and came up empty handed..... again.  By this time I was started to get annoyed.  I was an hour away from home and the thoughts of leaving my phone was devastating.  I know, I know.  It's just a phone, but what if I had car trouble?  What if I had to pull over in the big ATL and didn't have any way to contact anyone?  Natalie and I once again headed back inside to doublecheck.  Tracy, the lady at the desk started helping me look.  Sadly, I had put my phone on vibrate because that's just the nice thing to do when you're in a public place but it sure doesn't help you when you're trying to locate it.  Times like this you wish you had a pager on your phone so you could pinpoint its exact location.  Tracy mentioned calling it anyway because some phones you can hear when it's on vibrate.  So I headed back out to my car and turned everything off so I could magically hear it vibrate.  Nothing.  I then decided to dump my pocketbook out, even though I had already looked,  in the front seat and what do you think I found amidst the rubble?  My phone.   Boy, did I feel like a dummy.

We jumped back in the car and proceeded to Calhoun.  Natalie has therapy at Infinity Children't Services at 1:30 every Tuesday.  After having a great session with Mrs Heather (who is secretly my therapist)  we left to go pick up Cayli from school  After we were to pick up Cayli, I then had to head to get Ella from her babysitter who is also my best friend's house.  I noticed when we hit the road again, my car was starting to drag.  Uh-Oh, my gas light was glowing orange when I looked down to check it. You see, I'm one of those people who let the gas hand get below E because I'm just smart like that and think I can go 1 more mile.  I know I'm the ONLY one who does that.........yeah right.  I proceed to pull over at the closest gas station and I put just enough in the tank to get us home and we start to head to the school.  As I'm driving I notice something is just not right.  The car wouldn't pick up speed.  It's like it didn't want to switch gears.  By this time, I'm nearing exhaustion and the last thing I want to worry about is the car.  We rely too much on my car to worry about it breaking down.  I finally make it to get Cayli and head up the hill (we live right above the school) to the house.  By this time, I had already called Doug to let him know something was not right.  Boy, did he sound excited.  When I pulled in I popped the hood and let Doug do his thing while I unloaded the car. 

The car was too hot for Doug to really look at it so we waited.......and waited.  I finally sent Doug in his car, which is a stick, to retrieve Ella because it was almost time for her next breathing treatment.  When he got home, he started to try to assess the car.  Our immediate thought of course is the transmission.  Well do you know that my car's manual says NOT to try to check the transmission fluid?  I myself think this is a way to get you to just take the car to a shop which I soooo don't want to do.  I guess I watch too many shows about mechanics trying to jip you and tell you something's wrong when it really isn't.  Doug came to the conclusion after driving it around the block that it just might be the engine.  Either way this was going to end up costing us out the wazoo.  Get a new transmission or have work done on the engine?  Hmmmm decisions, decisions. 

Cayli had a chorus concert at the school at 6 and considering we live right across the street we decided to go ahead and drive the car.  Thank goodness it made it but I definately wasn't going to be able to drive it to Atlanta the next day.  When we returned home, safe and sound, from a wonderful concert I might add, I pretty much started to breakdown.  I didn't know what we were going to do.  I had to take Natalie to school, I couldn't drive Doug's car because it was a stick, I couldn't borrow my parent's car because it needed new tires, my sister's  motor mounts on her car were going bad, Ella was sick, she just had surgery, I had a mile long list of stuff to do, AND I WAS EXHAUSTED.  Talk about your bad luck. 

After having a temporary meltdown, I realized that God is in control and that HE was going to figure out a way.  I talked to my sister, who I love dearly, and she said that I could borrow her car to take Naty to school on.  Even though her motor mounts were going bad I guess it was better than my transmission falling out on I-75.

After all this, we were sitting in the living room watching tv and Naty was drinking her some red kool aid from a big girls cup.  She came over and wanted my phone to play with.  I was just too tired to argue with her.  Of course the thought that she had an open cup of Kool aid AND my phone didn't seem to register.  FYI: Kool aid and phones do not mix.  Next thing I know, I look over and she's dipping my phone in the kool aid!  When I realized what she was doing she just looked at me and grinned ever so slyly.  I yelled for someone to retrieve my phone because at that time I had Ella in my arms and she was just about to doze off to sleep.  He saved my phone and started wiping it off hoping he wasn't too late.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse Ella started having a coughing fit and puked phlegm all down my shirt.

Boy, what a day.................

No comments:

Post a Comment